Remember, great cocktails begin with great ingredients. So always use the best whenever you can. And don’t forget this simple rule: stir when the ingredients are all spirits and liqueurs, shake when they’re not, like when you add citrus or other proteins. Then, follow the tips below and you’ll soon be stirring up some fabulous cocktails like a true pro.
1. The proper tools are a must: chilled mixing glass, long bar spoon with a twisted handle (allows it to twist more easily in your hand), ice (the preference is yours – harder ice does not dilute as fast as crushed ice).
2. Master the technique – Pinch bar spoon between your middle and index fingers and keep the back of the spoon against the inside wall of the glass.
Keep your arm and fingers still, allow your wrist to do the work creating a swirling motion. Think of it as a pushing, then pulling motion.
3. Stir for about 30 seconds. This will ensure proper mixing and dilution. Test dilution by dipping a cocktail straw into the cocktail, holding your finger over the top of the straw to cover the hole, placing straw in your mouth, then releasing your finger to uncover the top of the straw, allowing you to taste the cocktail. Discard straw. Repeat if necessary.
4. Use Four Roses Bourbon for the best results.
Now that you know, stir up some smooth and silky cocktails of your own.
• 1 ½ ounces Four Roses Single Barrel
• 1 ounce Campari®
• ½ ounce Bénédictine® D.O.M. liqueur
• ½ ounce Italian vermouth
Method: In an ice-filled mixing glass, add all ingredients and stir. Strain into a rocks glass filled with large ice cubes and garnish with a lemon twist.
• 2 ounces Four Roses Single Barrel
• ¾ ounce Amaro Averna
• 4 dashes Fee Brothers whiskey barrel-aged bitters
• 1 zest of orange
Method: In an ice-filled mixing glass, add all ingredients and stir. Strain into a rocks glass with large ice cubes and garnish with an orange twist.
Create and share a Holiday cocktail with someone special.
Four Roses would like to help you give someone special a very savory Holiday gift. Whether it’s for a friend, family member, co-worker, or just a little something for yourself, a personalized Four Roses Holiday cocktail recipe is waiting. Stir or shake up some Holiday fun at FourRosesHolidays.com.